Tuesday, May 28, 2013

"Splendid Morning"



Howdy Folks,

Whippoorwills' calls drifted through our bedroom window rousing us even before the roosters began their morning crowing and cackling ritual. I chuckled when I surmised they'd decided to sleep in today but were awakened by competing Whippoorwills. From the bedroom window I can see the skyline begin to brighten behind tall trees, it hadn't yet.

Fumbling about I made coffee and got myself ready for Coffee Clutch with Kessy, the Whippoorwills encouraged me to get a move on, for a few more moments, then on cue, as the sky grew alive with color, they stopped. But the roosters were by then in full cadence. All 7 of them!

As I did my morning barn chores the Wrens who have nests in the chicken house accompanied me with a combination of scolding chatter and alternating flute like song.

Settled in my chair next to Kessy, Saturday at my feet, Tigger on my lap and Miss Kitty next to Saturday, I poured my first cup of steaming Folgers, gazed skyward and thanked God for a splendid morning. Something I do each morning, sun, rain, snow or wind. For isn't every morning splendid?
The Coffee Clutch Gang
 As Kessy munched the Wrens continued to sing, a hummingbird visited the feeder, and the Phoebes "chipped" as they darted here and there snaring insects to feed their nest bursting brood. Their nest is on a ledge in the rafters in Kessy's stall and those youngins are only days away from taking flight.

Doves and a Towhee joined the chickens at the scratch. A Yellow Warbler added his airy tune to the morning's glow. The woods around Kessy's barn are thick now with shining green leaves, giving a feeling of almost being swaddled in nature's beauty. Far distant in those thick woods a Wood Thrush's melody floated on crisp air, weaving between the thick leaves to surround the barn with the clearest notes of a most perfect background singer.

I hope you are having a splendid morning too!

Gitty Up ~ Dutch Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment