Tuesday, January 1, 2013

"HAPPY NEW YEAR! Resolutions, Traditions and Superstitions"


Howdy Folks,

Well here we are at the beginning of a brand new year. Does it seem to you that 2012 went by really fast? I heard once that as we get older the years go by faster and faster ... Am I the only one who thinks we now have one week of Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter? Or is that my age speaking?  They say when we're younger time goes slower because each period of time is a larger portion of our lives, and as we accumulate years and decades each segment, or season, is a tinier piece of the whole. Thereby giving us the, "Fly By" sensation.

Another common held belief is whatever you do on New Year's Day you'll do all year. That's why Ravishin' Robbie and I are always sweet to each other all day long, with plenty of kissin' mixed in. And you know what? It's pretty much that way all year for us so I reckon there must be some truth in that old saying.

I also make sure I ride a little on New Year's Day. Gosh some years I've gone on marathon New Year's Day rides. But that could be a story all its own ... "Really Long and Cold New Year's Ride, Because We Got Really Lost," or some title along those lines.  But Kessy and I will head out for at least a short adventure today.

Being PA Dutch we always have Pork and Sauerkraut on New Year's Day, for good luck you see. I think that one holds true too. At least we have pork and sauerkraut every year on New Year's day not wanting to chance it … The Good Luck thing … Do we have it every year because we have pork and sauerkraut every year? You know that, "Whatever you do on New Year's Day thing?" … It could be tied in with that, couldn't it? Well, anyway, we do. Eat pork and sauerkraut every New Year's Day, I mean. And Robbie still loves me, so isn't that about the best luck a fellow could have?

Do you make resolutions? … That's one tradition I've never done. Thinking about it, I don't even know why I don't. I just never did. If you do, do you keep them? … Some folks make life changing commitments. But can you only do that on New Year's Day? What if you get a really, really good idea on Jan third? For it to work must you wait 362 days to implement it? Maybe you could mix in a few trial runs throughout the year so when the next New Year's Day rolls around you've got it figured out.

Whatever your traditions and superstitions about New Year's Day, Robbie and I hope you have a blessed and prosperous New Year filled with love and kindness.  Be sure to hug your sweetie, children, pets and of course your horses, send out plenty of Happy New Year wishes, make resolutions, eat pork and sauerkraut and remember to start this New Year off with a heaping helping of love.

God Bless & Gitty Up
Dutch Henry

2 comments:

  1. We enjoyed the traditional PA Dutch traditions here also. Kraut and pork with dumplings. We eat at midnight. We also had lots of loving and lots of positive things said to each other too.
    Happy New Year's to you and I look forward to a lot of great bog posts in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY NEW YEAR to you, cashzig! .. We usually eat our Pork & Kraut at supper time ... must admit to going to bed long before midnight!

    ReplyDelete